During our study this week with Lysa Terkeurst in her book What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, she talked about how we’ve become “so familiar with God yet so unaware”.
I thought about this and how the past year how I have become more aware of His presence. I’ve noticed how I see His beauty in a walk, in a drive out of town, in my home, in other’s lives. I love taking pictures when we take a four-hour trip to the Hill Country. I love seeing all that God has created and it excites me.
This picture of a butterfly that my friend Lynda Parker snapped blessed my heart. I love butterflies and each time I see one I am reminded how much my Mom loved them and sweet thoughts of her. Thank you Lynda.
Seeing a fish used to be mundane, but now I enjoy a fishing trip with my son, daughter-in-law and husband watching the clouds, butterflies and even other people passing by gives me God thoughts, not to mention those huge fish God just seems to bless us with as He leads my son over that lake.
A road runner coming to find a drink as I sit there thinking about how God created him. No it isn’t mundane that he was created to know how to come for water.
Giraffes at a zoo during a trip to visit my daughter and son-in-law and watching all the other unique creations at the zoo.
A beautiful snowfall, a blooming cactus are wonderful sites if we stop and take a moment to see the mundane, ignored by some, but the beauty of the Lord to me.
Sunsets, clouds, flowers. My soul longs for these type of experiences to see God’s handiwork.
And this beautiful butterfly that my friend Lynda Parker snapped a picture of as well as the most geor
Our soul truly does long for a richer experience. So how can we experience God with a longing for more? Some of the steps we can take each day to become more aware of God’s presence are simple. Jesus offers us the supreme blessing each day, right now with all we are going through – we just need to look up to Heaven with open hearts and palms up to receive the offering.
How can we intentionally pursue God even in the middle of “life’s mundane activities?”
- When you are sad, grieving or depressed – reach out to people for caring so that you can renew your soul. God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. ( Heb 6:10 NIV)
- Release your sadness, grieving, depression and tears to God. You have collected all my tears and preserved them in your bottle! You have recorded every one in your book.” (Psalm 56:8, TLB) )
- Lose those thoughts that you are bad and have no self-worth and quit comparing yourself to others. We can never be good enough – we are good enough in His eyes and acceptable to Him just as we are. “You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.
- Only God can fill our deep hunger – not money, not jobs, pleasure, family are not going to satisfy our souls. “You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are – no more, no less. That’s the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can’t be bought.” (Matthew 5:5, The Message)
- Care for others. Smile, take a meal to someone sick or feed a homeless person, welcome people into your home, visit the sick, love a family member, pray for someone who has treated you wrongly and love them back. “You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being `care-full,’ you find yourselves cared for.” (Matthew 5:7, The Message)
- Join a community of believers. We need a community to connect to – we need each other. “You’re blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That’s when you discover who you really are, and your place in God’s family.”(Matthew 5:9, The Message)
- Feed on God – in His handiwork, by praying, studying, sit and listen, appreciate and look for nature. For the director of music. A psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. (Ps 119:9 (NIV) )
Is 26:9 (NIV) “My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgments come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness. ”
I close with this prayer that Lysa TerKeurst shared with us in her book that she prays every morning. My friend Amber James designed this for us. Hope you enjoy and perhaps as a start – just as a beginning in your journey to know Him MORE, you can begin to pray this prayer. I pray you want to see Him, you want to hear Him, you want to know Him and I pray you want to follow HARD after Him.