It’s the second day of July and here in Texas that usually means HOT, HOT, HOT! This year it’s been unusually cool and this morning I had both my grandsons (22 months and 5 months), and decided it was time to go for a two-mile walk, and for those baby boys it is play time. They love it and the older one entertains the younger one.
We are still sort of in the country on acreage, but the city is getting closer. Our fields are being filled up with homes on an acre or two or three. As we walked this morning this is what we saw:
- Flags flying in front of homes. Love that my community is patriotic.
- Alpacas. Some neighbors just started raising them. They are so stinkin’ cute.
- A bunny rabbit eating the green grass. Yes, we still have green grass from all the rains this year.
- Dogs barking. Lots of dogs – the further we went the louder that got.
- Two helicopters flying over and the 22-month-old loved it.
- The trees whipping in the wind. It was almost like a fall morning, except for the sun.
- A lizard
When we got back the older one pulled a little weed flower and held it up for me to see. I can’t wait for him to pull a flower and crumple it and bring it to me. A few weeks back I was subbing for a first-grade class and one of the little girls brought me a weed flower in from recess. I loved it. Children see things that we miss.
I wonder how many other little details that God sent along our path. How many of those delicate intricacies have I missed when I used to just rush through my walks? I’ve learned to slow down and savor the walks, savor the moments with the boys.
This summer will include long walks, working on eating healthier, swimming, mowing, watering, summer cleaning and organizing, and fixing some things around the house (paint, mini-blinds, septic system), and my favorite thing next to the grandsons is my on-line Bible studies. You can find the Bible studies here at Proverbs 31.
I’m linking up with Nicki Koziarz and her #Summer2015 giveaway. Go check it out.