SAVOR – Vocabulary.com – derive or receive pleasure from; get enjoyment from; take pleasure in
Synonyms – Dictionary.com – admire, adore, applaud, cherish, love, praise, treasure, appreciate
This past year – 2015, the word savor constantly came to mind. It seemed when I would blog, that word appeared, and so I believe it is the word that God wants me to focus on in 2016.
As I sit here this morning sipping my steaming coffee with gingerbread creamer smelling it, lingering over it, I reflect on that word “savor” a moment and what it has meant this past year.
- In January we were blessed with our second grandson after many years of prayer and infertility. Savoring, praising and treasuring that gift from God.
- We lost a dear aunt with cancer and savored some time with her in her last days being able to visit and talk as she lay in bed her final weeks treasuring final days with her.
- I have to tell you children and grandchildren have not come easy for myself and my kids family. We’ve walked through miscarriages, infertility and one baby with a skin disease, but through it all God has shown us He is faithful, He performs miracles when the doctors say different, and we have been shown how truly precious the birth of a child is.
- Christmas this year was a reminder of the loss of family, and the reminder to truly savor every moment of this time of the year – His birth and keeping it holy – decorating, cleaning, baking, wrapping, e cards and every moment of it. I wanted to savor time with family so much more this Christmas. In fact, I have savored so much I haven’t wanted to take the decorations down so I can just enjoy the moments. I turned all the tree and outside lights on this morning before my grandson arrived, and just sit here savoring time with my Savior.
- This past Saturday ten tornadoes hit the metroplex area. That can cause us all to reflect on what we have and what is important and that is family. I stood watching the weather and the approaching tornadoes (two of them in our area) and praying that God would keep us safe. He did, at least in our area, but there were over a hundred homes damaged and totaled including some friends and our children’s minister at church who lost everything but what is important and what we need to savor and that is not things but others. I look at the destruction and how close it was to us and our children, and what could have been if they had turned because they were within a mile or two of all of us. Thankful, praising, adoring and treasuring His love and watch care over us this weekend and every single day.
In 2016, I want to savor His presence more than ever before. I want to savor the time in the dark stillness of the morning reading His Word, studying with my on-line study sisters with Proverbs 31 ministries, underlining verses, memorizing, verse mapping, and savoring each word of a verse every week, singing a verse, and turning scriptures into prayer. It seems lately I can’t get enough and could study all day long. It seems lately my reflection is on Him all day long, and I sometimes wonder if He is preparing me for something that may come.
I want to savor His goodness as I sit each morning in prayer and reflect on how He has blessed our family, how He has shown us miracle after miracle, and blessed us with two children, two children in laws, and two grandsons. Life is so good and so very precious.
I want to slow down, be still, delight in Him, and savor His presence in 2016 like never before!