HELLO 2017. Thank You Lord that 2016 was such a great year, and we are expecting an even better one this year with new grand babies on the way and my husband retiring.
What is one word? It’s one word for the year instead of a resolution. I used to start the new year with a resolution and well, you know, by February I had failed. Several years ago I started choosing one word, and it’s worked well for me. In 2016 my word was “Savor“, in 2015 it was “Focus“, 2014 was “Simplify” and my first one word in 2013 was “Less“.
My one word did not come easy this year. I’ve prayed about this word. As I reflected back over 2016 and saw all I have accomplished, and all I didn’t accomplish, my mind kept jumping from the word joy, organization and intentional. I’ve finally decided on intentional and believe that will encompass organization, and how can I not be joyous as things get more organized in my life and my home.
Some of the synonyms for intentional include deliberate, calculated, planned, and purposeful.
I can get bogged down looking around at all that needs to be done. Ugh! It’s so hard to get rid of “stuff”, memories, things my parents gave us – so many treasures with so many happy moments.
I want to be intentional each day. Honestly some days I am NOT. Satan desires to distract us from our plans and goals. Intentional living is an act of worship to Him each day and not getting sidetracked. It is going to take some big discipline on my part.
Oh Come Let Us ADORE Him as we live intentionally.
My verse for 2017 is:
I want to take charge of my life to be intentional in:
- FAMILY – Not being so tired that I can’t enjoy my family and so that I can make memories. Being present and not absent in social media or any worries that might be bothering me. Not looking at a phone if it pings when I am out with family. “And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4 (KJV)
- FRIENDS – I want to be more involved with friends, and I find it so hard to meet them for lunch like I did when I first retired. I’ve committed to be more involved with them through a simple phone call, private messages on Facebook, and emails or maybe even a snail mail. “A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” Proverbs 17:17 (KJV)
- BIBLE STUDY – “Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10 (KJV). I do well with my Bible study, but I could do so much more than I do. I would really like to go through the Read Thru The Word Study this year with Wendy Pope, but not sure I can do it with our new study coming up with Proverbs 31 by Lysa TerKeurst called Finding I Am and our Bible study coming up at church called 1 Peter – A Living Hope in Christ by Jen Wilken. It will require a lot more intentional planning on my part to stick with three studies every single day. I don’t want it to be interrupted by the craziness that sometimes comes through life. In Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (KJV) it says, “And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.” I want His words to be in my heart. I want them to be in my children’s and my grandchildren’s hearts, but it has to start with me first.
- PRAYER – I need to spend so much more time in prayer. I need to pause every single day before I got into my Team page in our studies and pray for the girls and their groups. I need to spend more time in prayer for our family, friends and our nation and leaders. “Pray without ceasing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (KJV) I’ve been persistent in praying over a few things in our life with our children. Luke 18:1-8 reminds us that the persistent widow did not give up going to the judge until she received an answer. If you’ve been praying for a long time stay persistent, be intentional, keep knocking on that door.
- HOME ORGANIZATION – I plan to be more intentional in donating and throwing away things I don’t use. I’ve done a little thru the holidays and hope to keep it up. “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men” Colossians 3:23 (KJV)
- CLEANING– We have three new grand babies on the way (yes 3) and due the first quarter of 2017. I am trying to clean and organize and get ready for them because I don’t think I’ll get a whole lot of cleaning done the second quarter of 2017. “He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.” Proverbs 10:4 (KJV) “The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.” Proverbs 13:4 (KJV)
- HEALTH – Who doesn’t want to live longer? Drinking lots of water, eating healthy and exercising. Developing healthy habits. Meal planning. Eating more fruits and veggies. “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? “For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (KJV)
- BLOGGING – I certainly want to be more intentional about blogging. I got so carried away with statistics and participating in 31 day writes and not focusing on what my original intention was and that was to show others Jesus and leave a legacy. I’ve slowed downed. My posts are few and far between, and I have stopped stressing about being involved in blog parties every single day. It took so much time and it was all about numbers. I did not even write a Christmas post. I want to make my posts matter and make them count so others will want to read them. “Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:” Proverbs 3:3 (KJV)
- SOCIAL MEDIA – Effectively living my days. I think we can all get wrapped up in social media. I get on to check with the ladies in my Bible study and then I’m jumping from here to there and before I know it I’ve been there for hours. I’ve gotten better the last few months, but I’ve got so much improvement to make. Glorifying God when I am on social media. I have commitments not to tear down but to build up. “ Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.” Psalm 19:14 (KJV)
- TEACHING – After I retired I wanted to be a light in my community in the school system. I want to watch for intentional teaching moments. I substitute teach and I do get lots of moments to make a difference. I’m praying this year that God will direct me and lead me to see those moments and to know how to make them matter. “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
Proverbs 22:6 (KJV) “I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.” Psalm 32:8 (KJV)
I want to be more intentional. I want to do what is important for me even when I don’t feel like it or want to. I want to be productive – not just being busy.
What I do matters. What I do is important. It’s what I do in those 86,400 seconds, 1440 minutes, 24 hours in the day, 365 days a year that matters in the Kingdom.
“If you want to be significant and live a life that matters , you must add value to others….People of intentional significance make it their everyday goal to add value to people using their best gifts, skills, and resources.” John Maxwell
I found a beautiful workbook for coming up with your one word here.
Graphic: One Word Image from Canva
Tractor Photo : Personal Picture of Hubby on Tractor