This year I was so busy getting ready for Christmas. I know you are laughing. What else is new?
Do any of you clean and decorate as you go. I do – dusting and tossing. It feels good, but it does slow down the decorating, and when it’s over I’m dusting, vacuuming and cleaning again.
I have decided that in 2018 I will be decluttering something every single day. I’m not just talking about decluttering the house because I need to declutter a lot – including my weight, sometimes my thoughts, things on my to-do list, and so much more.
I’ve asked myself what responsibilities are most important that God would have me do in my faith, family, home, talents and finances.
I spend a whole lot of time on faith in my Bible studies and using my talents to volunteer in on-line Bible studies.
I spend a whole lot of time on family and helping with our five grandchildren.
I also spend a whole lot of time substitute teaching to minister to my community.
NOW, I’ve asked myself the hard question of how do I organize to make my housekeeping easy with all that is on my to-do list already. Decluttering every single day. Sounds impossible? Maybe, but it is worth a try. I have done well spending time with Him in Bible study. I need to do a bit more on my knees, and so much more in organizing. It does not come easy for me. I’ve been a pack rat my whole life because I might need that, and sometimes I’m ready to toss and my husband decides we need that or might need it SOMEDAY.
I have never thought of decluttering every day. I mean who has time, but what if each day I declutter one thing – a magazine or two, a shelf in my pantry, a drawer in my kitchen, a pair of shoes or organize all the shoes. Simple tasks like that take so little time, but I sure can procrastinate. One thing a day to toss, give away, donate – seven things a week, thirty things a month, and I bet it is a whole lot more than 365 at the end of the year because some days that clutter in the upstairs closets needs to go to someone needy.. Maybe I’ll blog once a month to share how I am doing.
What if I spend time reading through the Word in addition to all my on-line Bible studies and those at church? What if I spend time planning meals and snacks a little better? What if I add exercise on my to-do list?
Here are some things I’m starting to work on and not in any specific order. This is a rough draft as I go through my planner and set up specific tasks. Yes, I’ve done that this morning and yes, it’s January 5th and I haven’t started any of them, but they start on Monday. Don’t laugh. I’m home, school is still out, and those tasks are going to be crossed off, and I’m getting on the treadmill when I hit post.
- My kitchen note and pen drawer. It’s a mess and some of those pads need to go in the trash along with some pens.
- That top shelf in the mudroom closet.
- Those remaining three shelves in the mudroom closet.
- The wire shelf and floor in the mudroom closet.
- All of the master bathroom drawers which would count as five – throwing away old makeup, old hose, etc..
- Underneath the master bath sinks and the other doored shelves.
- The medicine cabinet or actually two of them – throw away expired meds. (Done)
- The linen closet – 4 shelves of them. Purge and donate.
- The towel shelves in the small downstairs bathroom for guests. Donate those that haven’t been used.
- Master closet bookcase.
- Master closet shelves. Clean out purses.
- Master closet chest
- Master closet – my clothes. Organize by color, donate those I haven’t worn in a year or are now to large.
- Master closet – my shoes – throw away scratched shoes, donate good ones I don’t wear, and stagger those I do with unseasonable stored in shoes boxes.
- File Cabinet – Shred old statements
- Desk Drawer in Office
- Laundry Room Shelves
- Laundry Room Bookcase
- Bedroom A – Desk
- Bedroom B – Desk
- Bedroom A – Chest
- Bedroom B – Chest
- Kitchen Cabinets – Upper by stove
- Kitchen Cabinets – Upper Left of Sink
- Kitchen Cabinets – Lower Left of Sink
- Kitchen Cabinets – Lower Right of Sink
- Kitchen Cabinets – Upper Right of Sink
- Kitchen Cabinets – Lower next to pantry
- Kitchen pantry Upper Shelves
- Kitchen pantry – Lower Shelves
- Television Entertainment Center – Den
- Television Entertainment Center – Master
- Downstairs Coat Closet
- Bedroom A – Closet
- Bedroom B – Closet
- Bedroom B – Closet Chest
- Bedroom A – Closet Chest
- Bedroom A nightstands
- Bedroom B nightstands
- Master nightstands
- Go thru the hundreds of mailing labels that come from donating to organizations, and shred those as well as new ones coming in I don’t need.
- Continue to delete old emails. This has been an ongoing project unsubscribing and deleting. I am doing great because I set up some milestones of where I wanted to be at the end of each month, and it’s working.
And I’ve decluttered already this holiday. I sent two boxes of stuff with my daughter for a garage sale, and a couple of baby jumpers. Sacked up two gallon bags of old reading glasses, a box of coffee cups, some old Christmas decorations, and donated four bags of clothes. PROGRESS.
So today I start, and starting small getting my planner ready, and the toddlers and I are going to the movie to see Ferdinand. Our first movie together with both Colt and Cal. Can’t wait. I’ve got loads of laundry to do because we’ve been out-of-town so that’s on the agenda this morning and when I get back from the movie.