I love spending time in prayer – on my knees some days, but I also love weaving prayer into my days and evenings. I’ve even been found walking through the house bawling with my hands raised praying for our children walking through infertility/miscarriages.
How do I do it?
Many times if I awaken during the night. I lay there and pray. Sometimes I awake before my hubby who is up at 4:30. Sometimes like last night I am up until after midnight. I love laying/sitting in the dark praying. That’s one prayer prompt because I feel like maybe it is God awakening or keeping me up to pray.
Here are some other prayer prompts I use during the day?
- IRON – Pray for your spouse and children as you press their clothes. I love ironing my husbands shirts and praying sentence prayers as I iron each one. Honestly, I don’t love ironing, but I love praying for him. His heart, His spiritual growth, that the Lord would bless his work, and keep him healthy and teachable.
“ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.” Proverbs 4:23 (KJV)
“Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness. But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. 2 Peter 3:17-18 (KJV)
- ROCKING CHAIR – Pray your family will cast their cares upon Him. I also love praying in my rocking chair rocking our three 10-month old grand babies – praying they will grow up to love the Lord and have long, happy, healthy lives. I am already praying for their spouses and their children.
“Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.” 1 Peter 5:7 (KJV)
- FOLDING CLOTHES – If I’m folding my husbands underwear and undershirts, I pray for him as I do using simple little prayers for each piece asking different blessings on him, especially his day will go well at work, he will have a safe trip home, that he not be conformed to this world, etc.. Our kids are grown, but I still have grandchildren laundry and use those times to pray for them.
“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” Romans 12:2 (KJV)
- CLOCK/WATCH – The older I get the more I know my days are numbered. It’s funny how one day that hits you. I can remember my grandmother saying she was living on borrowed time, and I was a newly married thinking why do you say that.
“So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.” Psalm 90:12 (KJV)
“Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.” Colossians 4:5-6 (KJV)
- POTS/PANS – If I’m cooking I thank God for the food He has given us.
“For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.” Psalm 107:9 (KJV)
- CLEANING – When cleaning I am so thankful that God has been so good to us and given us this peaceful place to live, and rest, and entertain.
“Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.” Proverbs 14:1 (KJV)
“She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.” Proverbs 31:27 (KJV)
For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. Hebrews 3:4-6 (KJV)
- CREATION – I love sitting on the porch and just thanking God for His creations – the birds flying by, butterflies, blooming flowers, neighbors passing by, beautiful sunrises and sunsets. I love going to our lease and watching deer, fox, pigs, turkeys.
“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handiwork.” Psalm 19:1 (KJV)
- KITCHEN – Praying for self-control when I walk in the kitchen. (Still working on that one.)
“There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 (KJV)
- NEWS – Pray for my country when I turn on the news.
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV)
- COFFEE/TEA – Pray for my husband and children and grandchildren to sip fully the truth of God.
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6 (KJV)
- CHURCHES– Pray for the people that go to it and those that live close by.
“Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;” Romans 12:12 (KJV)
- CANDLE – When I light a candle pray that our World will turn back to the Light of the World.
“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12 (KJV)
- LAWN WORK – When I’m riding the mower or working in the flower beds.
“Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.” Colossians 2:7 (KJV)
- CLOTHES – GETTING DRESSED – Pray He will clothe you with dignity today.
“Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.” Proverbs 31:25 (KJV)
- COOKING -Ask the Lord to feed you with His Word today.
“How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” Psalm 119:103 (KJV)
- WINDOWS/MINI BLINDS – Throw Open the Windows or open your blinds/curtains and pray for whoever comes to mind. Pray the light of Jesus will shine thru them and thank Him for the Light.
“For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” 2 Corinthians 4:6 (KJV)
- FIRE TRUCK/AMBULANCE – If you see a fire truck or an ambulance stop and pray for the firemen, the ambulance personnel and for the people where they are going to help.
“But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19 (KJV)
- REARVIEW MIRROR – Pray your family will look forward and not backward.”
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14 (KJV)
- BREAD – Pray that my family, neighbors and friends will not live by bread alone and relish in His Word.
“But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4 (KJV)
- HEART – This time of the year I especially pray for folks posting hearts on their timelines. I love subbing and praying for my students as they are working.
“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” Matthew 22:37 (KJV)
- PICTURES – Most of pictures are on my piano or the side of my refrigerator. I love the ones on the refrigerator and kitchen window because while I’m cooking I can take time to pray for each one by name. I pray each one will become a believer, find a believing spouse, that they will live lives that are worthy of the Lord, that God will command the angels to guard their ways.
“For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.” Psalm 91:11 (KJV)
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10 (KJV)
- CHRISTMAS CARDS– Every year we use the months after Christmas and pull one card a day to pray for friends and family who sent them. You can read about that tradition here, and more here.
“I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men.” 1 Timothy 2:1
- BIBLE – When you pull out that Bible each day pray for yourself and all those you know and don’t know that the Word will be read and become a lamp and light to them.
“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” Psalm 119:105 (KJV)
- IPHONE/COMPUTER/FACEBOOK – Are you using electronic devices to glorify the Father?
“Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth’s sake.” Psalm 115:1 (KJV)
I’ve written other posts on prayers. One of my favorites was when we were studying The Battle Plan for Prayer at church. I wrote about that here.
Other Prayer Posts: